The gouvernement du Québec, the elected officials of Laval and the North Shore and Mobility Montréal partners are pleased to announce that the work to implement 25 kilometres of preferential measures for buses will begin on May 19, 2020.
New traffic lanes will be developed along autoroutes 13, 15, 25 and 640 by fall 2020. It should be noted that the work is planned as part of the measures funded by the gouvernement du Québec and CDPQ Infra to mitigate the impacts of constructing the Réseau express métropolitain (REM).
Details on the preferential measures
The work is performed by the ministère des Transports and mainly consist in the redevelopment of existing freeway shoulders to implement two types of preferential measures for public transit: bus by-pass shoulders and reserved bus lanes. Considering most measures will be implemented outside traffic lanes, they will not reduce the traffic capacity of targeted freeways.
Sectors concerned and implementation
Montreal’s North Shore
- Autoroute 640 in Saint-Eustache and Boisbriand: bus by-pass shoulder in both directions, 25e Avenue and autoroute 13.
- Autoroute 13/640 interchange in Boisbriand: bus by-pass shoulder on ramps of autoroute 640 eastbound toward autoroute 13 southbound, and of autoroute 13 northbound toward autoroute 640 westbound.
- Autoroute 13 northbound in Boisbriand: bus by-pass shoulder between the Vachon bridge and autoroute 640.
- Autoroute 25 southbound in Terrebonne: bus by-pass shoulder between route 125 (montée Masson) and route 337 (chemin Gascon).
- Autoroute 13: bus by-pass shoulder in both directions, between the Vachon and Louis-Bisson bridges.
- Autoroute 15 southbound: bus by-pass shoulder, between boulevard de la Concorde Ouest/Notre-Dame and boulevard Cartier Ouest.
- Autoroute 13 southbound: reserved lane (in operation from Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 10 a.m.), between boulevard Gouin Ouest and boulevard Henri-Bourassa Ouest.
- Autoroute 15 southbound: bus by-pass shoulder, between rue De Salaberry and boulevard Henri-Bourassa Ouest.
Traffic management during the work
The work necessary to implement the measures will be performed on evenings and nights, in one sector at a time, which will require partial closures on the freeway in question. The work that begins on May 19 is performed on autoroute 640 and the autoroute 13/640 interchange. For this purpose, the complete closure of the ramps of the interchange on evenings and nights will be necessary. The information concerning closures will be updated daily on Québec 511.
Ministère des Transports: transports.gouv.qc.ca
Autorité régionale de transport métropolitain artm. quebec
Réseau express métropolitain: rem.info